New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag said on Monday that Cristiano Ronaldo was “not for sale” despite the Portuguese superstar skipping a pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia.
Ronaldo missed the start of training with the English Premier League giants last week due to a family issue.
The 37-year-old did not take the plane for the pre-season trip, with reports saying he wants to leave after United failed to qualify for the Champions League.
Speaking ahead of the Old Trafford club’s first pre-season friendly against Liverpool in Bangkok on Tuesday, Ten Hag said: “We’re planning Cristiano Ronaldo for the season and that’s it and I’m looking forward to working with him.
“I’ve read it, but what I’m saying is that Cristiano is not for sale, he’s in our plans and we want success together.”
United’s new Dutch manager revealed he had spoken to the restless striker before reports emerged last week that he wanted to leave.
“I talked to him before this issue arose,” Ten Hag said.
“I had a conversation with him and we had a very good conversation.”
However, he refused to delve into the substance of the conversation, stating that it was “between Cristiano and me”.
Ronaldo reportedly asked to leave after being unhappy with the club’s poor form since his return to Manchester last year: they finished sixth in the English Premier League, condemning them to the second-tier Europa League next season.
Ten Hag only arrived at United in May after finishing his successful spell at Ajax, but he faces a major challenge in rebuilding the Old Trafford club that has not won a trophy since 2017.
Ronaldo scored 24 goals in all competitions last season and was named the club’s player of the year.
Ten Hag also said that England defender Harry Maguire would remain as club captain.