By Ibem Onwuka Ibem (An Ode to my Clan)
EBEM: The land of two towers. My hometown. A community whose inheritance, rulership and succession is matrilineal. A bold and courageous woman Mgboenine, founder of Ebem, married to Kpoke, a strong and brave hunter.
The only community that had the capacity and audacity to challenge the excesses of the British Administrators during the colonial era in 1902.
That resulted into appointment of three warrant chiefs to help the British Administrators govern the populace they saw as restive.
The community that now host the following institutions of government;
The Police Station
The Ohafia Local Government Headquarters
The Army Barracks
The Federal Government College, among others.
A land blessed with natural features like:
The Mmuri stream
The Onu Uduma stream
The Iyam waterfalls
The Nkpogolo forest reserve
The pacesetters blessed with indigenes that have distinguished themselves in various professions, within Ohafia and old Bende
- Professor Eni Njoku- first academic Professor produced from the old Bende division, he became the first indigenous Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos, first federal minister from Ohafia as he was the Minister of Mines and Power in the first republic
Dr. Eni Njoku jnr.
Senior Research Scientist
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Dr. Eni Njoku is a senior research scientist and supervisor of the Water and Carbon Cycles group. Dr. Njoku’s other activities have included development of microwave remote sensing retrieval algorithms for land, ocean, atmosphere, and cryospheric investigations; technology studies utilizing large deployable antennas for spaceborne microwave sensing; and field campaigns using airborne microwave radiometers and radar systems.
- Dr. Kalu Idika Kalu, – Nigeria’s first two time Minister of Finance, Minister of National Planning, and Minister of Transport. Was Presidential Candidate of the New Nigeria People’s Party, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the European Union, World Bank Economist and Chairman, ADB.
- Ada Oyeoku- first female graduate from Ohafia
- Ada Egolu- recorded as the first certificated female teacher in Ohafia
Dr. Udo Ukweni- first qualified medical doctor in Ohafia
Senator Anaga Nwoke- first qualified pharmacist and Senator in Ohafia
- Eke Okebulu- first Ohafia person to qualify as a graphic artist and painter
- Dr. Mrs. Imo Kalu- the first female to qualify as a Medical Doctor in Ohafia
- Chief Okwara Osonwa Okwara- a renowned charter accountant
- Engineer Uka Onwuchekwa- the first qualified civil engineer and member of COREN in Ohafia
- Colonel Ogbugo Kalu- fearless and respected soldier of the Nigerian Army
- Elder Chief Eke Udensi- first indigene of Ohafia to rise to the position of Assistant Commissioner of Police
- Rev. Dr. Agwu Kalu- former moderator and prelate of the General Assembly of The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria
- Ruggedman- popular Nigerian Musician and rap artist
- Uga Okwara- former captain of Enyimba International football club of Aba, two time winner of African Clubs Champions League CAF Cup and the African Super Cup
Madam Inyang Olugu- first female broadcaster
- Dr. Chima Mba Ubaka- one time APGA Deputy Governorship Aspirant
- Hon. Fred E Idika- 2015 APC Deputy Governorship Aspirant among others
For Adverts Inquiries,
Corrections Whatsapp or Call 0808 214 9747.
Send Articles & News Stories To email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org